Plus: The Best…And Worst Super Bowl Halftime Performances Of All Time
Abel Makkonen Tesfaye, the 30-year-old Canadian superstar known as The Weeknd is about to hit the biggest stage he’s ever been on. The Super Bowl averages around 99 million viewers each year, and tomorrows game likely won’t be an exception.
Super Bowl LV features Patrick Mahomes and the reigning champion Kansas City Chiefs vs six-time Super Bowl winner and 43-year-old Tom Brady and his new team, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The game airs live from Tampa on Sunday at 6:30 pm EST
Starting the evening off, singing the National Anthem is country star Eric Church and R&B singer Jazmine Sullivan.
The Weeknd hits the stage at halftime, joining an illustrious list of superstars to grace the Super Bowl halftime show spotlight. That list includes the likes of Michael Jackson, Prince, and Beyonce, among others.
Abel has had a hell of a career, so far. Since being discovered on YouTube in 2010, he has sold over 75 million records, won 3 Grammys, 5 American Music Awards, 9 Billboard Music Awards, and an Academy Award.
He just recently announced the rescheduled 2022 After Hours World Tour:
It’s been reported that The Weeknd spent $7 million of his own money to make sure the show comes together as he envisions it. Performers are not paid to perform at the Super Bowl…which is total BS, in my opinion…but what the hell do I know?
What songs do you hope to see The Weeknd perform tomorrow night? Let me know in the comments!
5 Best Super Bowl Halftime Shows:
The NFL Super Bowl era began in 1967, with a halftime show starring the University of Arizona and Grambling University marching bands. We’ve come a long way since then. Here are my top 5 Super Bowl Halftime Show performances:
1. Prince – Super Bowl XLI, 2007
2. Michael Jackson – Super Bowl XXVII, 2003
3. Beyonce – Super Bowl XLVII, 2013
4. Bruno Mars ft. Red Hot Chilli Peppers – Super Bowl XLVIII, 2014
5. Janet Jackson ft. Justin Timberlake, Nelly, P Diddy, Kid Rock, and Janet Jackson’s Right Boob- Super Bowl XXXVIII, 2004
5 Worst Super Bowl Halftime Shows
We’ve had some legendary performances…we’ve also had some legendarily bad performances. Here are the 5 worst halftime shows.
1. “Be Bop Bamboozled” ft. Elvis Presto, an Elvis impersonator that looks nothing like Elvis and happens to be a magician – Super Bowl XXIII , 1989
2. Walt Disney’s Small World Salute, ft. A Bunch of Small Children singing “You have to be a football hero to get with the beautiful girls,” Awkward Warren Moon, George and Barbara Bush, and The New Kids on the Block – Super Bowl XXV – 1991
3. Maroon 5 ft. Travis Scott and Big Boi
3. Disney’s “Reflections of Earth and Tapestry of Nations” ft. Phil Collins, Christina Aguilera, Enrique Iglesias, and Toni Braxton – Super Bowl XXXIV, 2000
4. “Winter Magic” ft. Gloria Estefan, and Olympic figure skaters Brian Boitano and Dorothy Hamill…for whatever reason. Super Bowl XXVI, 1992
5. The Black Eyed Peas ft. Usher and Slash. Super Bowl XLV, 2011
What’s your prediction for the game? Let me know in the comments!
I got Kansas City, 33-30. Patrick Mahomes will win his second straight Super Bowl MVP and retire old-man Brady.